Although summer days bring a bit more of a slower pace around here, there are still times when things can be really hectic. Sometimes we just need to slow down and take some time for ourselves without feeling guilty about it, right? We’ve enlisted the help of one of our favorite guest bloggers to show us what a little self-care and pampering can do for you! Spoiler alert: the benefits are really great!
Giving yourself a “Treat yo’self” day can sometimes feel unnecessary and frivolous. However, the truth of the matter is, pampering yourself can be beneficial to both your physical and mental health. Indulging in a pampering day can help you learn so much about yourself and help you learn to be self-indulgent. Treating yourself in different ways from spending time alone or getting yourself some gifts can often lead to some personal guilt, but practicing pampering yourself is a necessary way to keep balance in your life. Here are some reasons why pampering yourself can be a purposeful and meaningful practice:
- Building Motivation – Giving yourself a massage or sending yourself flowers can help reward yourself to help build intrinsic motivation. Treating yourself in some way after working late can help you to build a system of rewards that can help increase motivation.
- Stress Relief – Along with helping with motivation, pampering yourself in different ways can help you alleviate stress. Consider going on a solo vacation even for just one day or treating yourself to a relaxing massage. These small indulgences can help you get rid of the stress and anxiety that builds up every day. Stress relief through pampering yourself every once in awhile is a great step to learning to create a healthy balance within your life.
- Learning To Balance – Often we can get engulfed in our daily habits and need to break up our routines to learn to keep a healthy life and work balance. According to neuroscientist Riza Hadid, who looked into how habits are formed and changed, areas in the brain related to emotion and reward had a strong effect on building habits. When we activate these areas we are more likely to implement those actions more regularly. Taking time to reward yourself can help you build habits that teach to create a healthy balance between your work life and your personal life.
- Help Refocus – Taking some time to indulge yourself in whatever you enjoy even for a few hours out of your day is a great way to take your mind off work and clear your mind. Pamper days are a great way to help you refocus and increase your critical thinking abilities. Even small indulgences throughout your day or week is a great way to rejuvenate your creative flow and build a better attitude towards your work.
- Improve Your Mood – Treating yourself is also great for improving your mood not just with work but in general. Indulging yourself in something such as a spa day or an expensive dinner “just because” will improve your mood daily. When you are in a good mood others around you will often follow suit.
Self-indulgence can often seem too frivolous or make us feel guilty, but it’s a necessary practice that we should all turn into a habit. Good habits such as treating ourselves to something we maybe would not purchase for ourselves not only helps us to value ourselves but also learn to live better. Pampering ourselves can help us live more meaningful and purposeful lives.
“As a health enthusiast and freelance writer living in Los Alamitos, California, Shannon Lochwood enjoys writing about personal fitness, nutrition and beauty. She has a true passion for writing and loves to encourage others to improve their health with fun being the #1 priority!”